The contents of this page as well as the photos were sourced from a book, “Jongensfontein – van Suiping tot Sauna” by Barbara M. de Jager. Her contact details are available at the bottom of this page should you wish to purchase a copy of the book.
Archaeological evidence shows that humans have used this area on and off for some seven thousand years. The earliest inhabitants were hunter-gatherers and then, some two thousand years ago, domesticated cattle were introduced and the people became pastoralists.
A Dutch expedition prior to 1713 reported on the existence of a spring here and the presence of numbers of Khoi people to whom they referred as “zwarte jongens” (black youths). In 1713 a smallpox epidemic caused great depopulation among the Khoi.
The earliest mention of Jongensfontein in recorded history is a land deed in 1762 referring to the farm “Swarte Jongens Fonteyn”. Many stories have circulated as to why it should be “black” but the expedition already mentioned provides a good explanation. Later, Zwarte Jongensfontein also became known as Groote Jongensfontein
as the informal development next to the beach